Set Up the JMeter Test
This topic describes how to prepare your environment for running JMeter tests, and to define a JMeter test scenario.
We recommend that you check the best practices and limitations information before you begin set up.
Install the following on each load generator that will run a JMeter test:
Apache JMeter. For supported versions of JMeter, see the System Requirements.
Java. This should be the appropriate version for the installed JMeter version.
Load generator setup:
Java setting for Windows: Check that the environment variable %PATH% includes the directory of jvm.dll (for example: %JAVA_HOME%/jdk/jre/bin/server).
Java setting for Linux: Check that the environment variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes the directory of libjvm.so.
We highly recommended that you define the following:
Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to the Java JDK folder.
Set the JMETER_HOME environment variable to point to the JMeter folder (containing JMeter sub-folders: bin, lib, etc.).
In addition, for a Linux load generator, copy the following jar files from LoadRunner to Jmeter:
- cd $JMETER_HOME/lib/ext/
- cp $M_LROOT/classes/HPEBackendListener.jar .
- cp $M_LROOT/bin/jeromq-0.3.4.jar .
LoadRunner agent settings:
- If the agent is set as Service, change the System environment variables JMETER_HOME, JAVA_HOME, and PATH , and restart the load generator machine.
- If the agent is set as Process, change any User or System environment variables JMETER_HOME, JAVA_HOME, and PATH, and restart the agent.
Add a JMeter test to a scenario
This task describes how to create a scenario containing a JMeter script, and define Runtime Settings and actions for the script.
To define a JMeter scenario:
- Make sure the load generator machines are set up to run JMeter tests, as described in Prerequisite setup for JMeter tests.
- On the main Controller toolbar, click the New Scenario button .
- In the New Scenario dialog box, in the Select the scripts... area, select the JMeter Scripts radio button.
- Click Browse and select the JMeter script (.jmx file).
- Click OK in the New Scenario dialog box. The scenario containing the JMeter script opens in the Design tab.
- Right-click the script and open the Runtime Settings dialog box, and configure the following:
- Start measurements. Make sure this check box is selected (default setting).
- JMeter path. Define the home path for the JMeter installation on the load generator. If the field is left empty, it will take the default path from the JMETER_HOME environment variable. (For more information on setting the default environment variable, see Prerequisite setup for JMeter tests.)
- JMeter port. Leave it set to default to use the internal port range (4000 – 65535), or define a range.
Open the Edit Action dialog box (described in see Edit Action Dialog Box), and set the following:
For action Start Vusers, set to start Simultaneously.
For action Duration, it is recommended to set to Run until completion.