Welcome to LoadRunner's Virtual User Generator, VuGen, HP's tool for creating Vuser scripts.
When testing or monitoring an environment, you need to emulate the true behavior of users on your system. HP testing tools emulate an environment in which users concurrently work on, or access your system. To perform this emulation, the human is replaced with a virtual user, or a Vuser. The actions that a Vuser performs are typically recorded in a Vuser script. The primary tool for creating Vuser scripts is HP's Virtual User Generator, also known as VuGen.
You use VuGen to develop a Vuser script by recording a user performing typical business processes. The Vuser scripts let you emulate real-life situations.
This following sections describe how to create scripts through recording or manual development, and the various protocols supported by VuGen.
You use the scripts created with VuGen in conjunction with other products, as follows:
HP LoadRunner, a tool for performance testing, stresses your entire application to isolate and identify potential client, network, and server bottlenecks.
- HP StormRunner Load is a cloud-based load testing solution that allows Agile development teams to create effective tests.
HP Performance Center implements the capabilities of LoadRunner on an enterprise level.
- HP Business Service Management (BSM) helps you optimize the management and availability of business applications and systems in production. VuGen is used in conjunction with the following BSM components:
- Business Process Monitor (BPM) software is a synthetic monitoring solution that simulates business transactions—whether or not real users are active. You use VuGen to create scripts for BPM, in order to reuse assets in testing and production environments.
- Real User Monitoring (RUM) software monitors application performance and availability on business critical application services, for all users. You use VuGen to capture and replay user sessions, and to create test scripts that reflect real user behavior.
- Performance Testing as a Service (PTaaS) enables you to run and analyze performance tests on your web applications using resources in the cloud. You can use VuGen to record HTTP/HTML scripts that are uploaded to the PTaaS script cloud repository.
HP AppPulse enables you to monitor applications across traditional, mobile, virtualized, and cloud environments. You can use VuGen to record scripts for AppPulse, across a range of protocols. The scripts are imported into AppPulse and used for availability and performance monitoring, by automatically reproducing the activity of the user.